Honduras: Upcoming 3G and 4G Spectrum Allocations to Attract New Player and Drive Mobile Competition
?Honduras: Upcoming 3G and 4G Spectrum Allocations to Attract New Player and Drive Mobile Competition? a new Country Intelligence Report by GlobalData, provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Honduras today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2021. Published annually, the report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile and pay-TV sectors, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
With an estimated revenue of $1.1bn in 2016, the telecom and pay-TV services market in Honduras is the 15th largest in Latin America and the second-smallest in Central America, just above Nicaragua.
The Country Intelligence Report provides in-depth analysis of the following -
- Regional context: telecom market size and trends in Honduras compared with other countries in the region.
- Economic, demographic and political context in Honduras.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, number portability and more.
- A demand profile: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony (including VoIP), broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV markets.
- Service evolution: a look at changes in the breakdown of overall revenue between the fixed/pay-TV and mobile sectors and between voice, data and video from 2016 to 2021.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of key trends in competition and in the performance, revenue market shares and expected moves of service providers over the next 18-24 months.
- In-depth sector analysis of fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice, mobile data and pay-TV services: a quantitative analysis of service adoption trends by network technology and by operator, as well as of average revenue per line/subscription and service revenue through the end of the forecast period.
- Main opportunities: this section details the near-term opportunities for operators, vendors and investors in Honduras?s telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- Competition in the Honduran telecom and pay-TV market has been stable in the recent years. Around 75% of total telecoms revenue is concentrated in the hands of top two players: Tigo and Claro, both offering mobile/fixed voice, broadband and pay-TV services. Hondutel, which also operates in the fixed and mobile communications segments, ranks in a third distant position.
- Honduras continues to exhibit one of the lowest fixed-line penetration levels in the region. This can be mainly attributed to an historical lack of investment in network infrastructure, particularly outside the main cities.
- The lack of reliable fixed-line infrastructure outside large urban areas and the popularization of mobile communications services across the country have pushed many Hondurans to opt for mobile technology as their primary form of communication.
- The pay-TV market in reached a penetration rate of 18.7%, as of year-end 2016, one of the lowest Central America, indicating there is still quite a lot of room for growth in the market, particularly for those operators offering basic and entry pay-TV packages.
Reasons to buy
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Honduras?s telecommunications and pay-TV markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying GlobalData?s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Honduras?s mobile communications, fixed telephony/VoIP, broadband and pay-TV markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Honduras?s telecommunications and pay-TV markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Honduras.
Table of Contents
Executive summary 4
Market and competitor overview
Regional context 6
Economic, demographic and political context 7
Regulatory environment 8
Demand profile 12
Service evolution 14
Competitive landscape 15
Major market players 16
Mobile services 19
Fixed services 23
Pay-TV services 27
Opportunities in the market 29
About the authors 30
Country Intelligence Report coverage 31
List of Tables
Honduras telecom market size and growth prospects in a regional context, 2016E 6
Country indicators 7
Regulatory structure and policy 8
Major telecommunications policy issues 9
Honduras communications market revenue, 2014-2021, US$ 12
Segment revenue CAGRs, 2016-2021,US$ 12
Segment revenues 2014-2021 13
Service revenue mix: voice, data & video, 2016, 2021 14
Service revenue mix: fixed & mobile, 2016, 2021 14
Service revenue by operator, 2016 15
Key telecom market players 15
Major telecommunications market players 16
Mobile subscriptions and penetration, 2014-2021 19
Key mobile market indicators, 2016 19
Mobile services revenue mix, 2016, 2021 20
Total mobile ARPS; data percentage of total mobile ARPS, 2014-2021 20
Mobile market shares by subscriptions, 2014-2021 21
Mobile subscriptions by technology family, 2014-2021 22
Fixed-line penetration of population, 2014-2021 23
Key fixed market indicators, 2016 23
Fixed voice and Internet revenue, 2014-2021 24
Fixed market shares by services, 2016 25
Access lines by technology, 2016 and 2021 26
Pay-TV subscriptions by technology, 2014-2021 27
Opportunities in the Honduran telecommunications market 29
GlobalData’s dedicated research and analysis teams consist of experienced professionals with advanced statistical expertise and marketing, market research and consulting backgrounds in the medical devices industry.
GlobalData adheres to the codes of practice of the European Pharmaceutical Marketing Research Association (http://www.ephmra.org/).
All GlobalData databases are continuously updated and revised.
The research process involves conducting exhaustive secondary research on internal and external sources being carried out to source qualitative and quantitative information related to the market. First step in secondary research involves preparing the company and product mapping for the market nodes. The next step involves gathering data and information available in public domain for the market nodes. The secondary research sources that are typically referred to include, but are not limited to:
- Company websites, financial reports, broker reports, investor presentations and SEC filings;
- Industry trade journals, scientific journals and other technical literature;
- Internal and external proprietary databases;
- Relevant patent and regulatory databases;
- National government documents and statistical databases;
- Procedure registries; and
- News articles, press releases and web-casts specific to the companies operating in the market.
GlobalData conducts interviews with industry participants and commentators in order to validate its data and analysis. A typical research interview fulfils the following functions:
- Provides first-hand information on market size, market trends, growth trends, competitive landscape and future outlook
- Helps to validate and strengthen secondary research findings
- Further develops the analysis team’s expertise and market understanding
Primary research involves email correspondence, telephone interviews and face-to-face interviews for each market, category, segment and sub-segment across a range of geographies.
The participants who typically take part in such a process include, but are not limited to:
- Industry participants: CEOs, VPs, marketing/product managers, market intelligence managers and national sales managers
- Distributors, paramedics and representatives from hospital stores, laboratories and pharmacies
- Outside experts: investment bankers, valuation experts and research analysts that specialize in specific medical equipment markets
- Key opinion leaders: physicians and surgeons that specialize in the therapeutic areas in which the medical device is used
Company Share Analysis
Company shares are calculated by analyzing a company’s sales in a particular market. In the case of public companies, annual reports and regulatory filings, investor presentations, earnings call transcripts and broker reports are used to determine a company’s revenue in a particular market and in a particular geography.
In the case of the private companies, company share data is gathered mostly from primary interviews and secondary sources.
Company share information is available only in databooks that cover market size information and is not available in the databooks that cover information related to surgical procedures.
Distribution Share Analysis
Distribution share information is gathered using a combination of secondary and primary research. It is supported by primary interviews because the availability of secondary data is limited in most cases.
Note that distribution share information is available only in databooks which have market size information and not the procedure databooks.
Distribution share information is available only in databooks that cover market size information and is not available in the databooks that cover information related to surgical procedures.